Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Recipe #1 Spicy Chicken and Bean Salad

Alright ladies and gentlemen, here is my first recipe..It is SO GOOD! Matt LOVES it and I am sure from here on out I will be making it multiple times a month. The best part is, its easy to make! So, here it is.........

Spicy Chicken and Bean Salad
(This recipe usually serves 2-4)


You will need-

2 cups diced chicken

1 can of black beans

1/4 cup red bell pepper

1 Tablespoon Lime juice

1 Medium Avacado

Salad greens (one bag)

Cheddar cheese



For the dressing, you will need-

1/3 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoon Oregano

1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin

1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder

1 teaspoon Salt

2 Tablespoons Sugar

1 Garlic Clove (minced, which is 1/2 teaspoon)

2/3 Cup Olive Oil


Now, what I do is make the dressing FIRST in a small bowl. Then I cover it and put it in the fridge unil I am ready to use it.



Then, I take the chicken (I use frozen) and let it dethaw in a bowl for about 45 minutes in Cold water. (I am giving you a step by step because the first time I made chicken, I had to look up how to cook the chicken! :) Then, I cook the chicken (I cook it in a skillet). I put a small amount of olive oil in the skillet and cook each side for about 7 or 8 minutes each, until I know it is fully cooked.


After you cook the chicken, dice it up. Then, I drain the beans in a strainer and rinse them out.


Mix the chicken, beans and bell pepper, then toss with the lime juice.


Put the salad greens in a large bowl. On top of the salad greens put the chicken, beans and bell pepper you mixed together.
Then, pour the dressing over everything and toss the salad. When you are finished, refridgerate the salad for 1 hour. (I also like to sprinkle the cheese on top!)


Let me know what you think! I love this recipe!!! :)

2 comments:

Kristine said...

mmmmmmm looks & sound good! i'll fix it soon and let ya know!

Brianna said...

Looks great & I LOVE your salad bowl!!